The skill of saying 'No' - Uncovered.

Image
    Do you feel like you're in an endless struggle of egos with your little one, that you're not getting the right response from them, that you keep losing your cool and lashing out or just giving in to their demands, and that your relationship with them is best described as one filled with conflicts and confrontations? If most of your interaction with your child is negative and disciplinary, your connection with them may suffer. Overusing the word 'No' might take you down this road. "No" is a powerful word that is easy to utter and quick on the lips. Your child will frequently hear you use this term, and you will listen to it from your child. A parent must learn to say "no" to a kid so the youngster can subsequently say "no" to himself. Delaying gratification is difficult for all children and some adults. "I want it now,", especially in toddlers, is a motivating need. Accepting "no" from others is a prerequisite...

Life in Mumbai - part 1

Mumbai  - a city of dreams, aspirations, desires and fun.

I have been very lucky to have lived in the world's one of the happening cities. Growing up in Mumbai was more fun than anything else. 

I remember myself getting up as early as 5.30 am to catch the school bus,which picked us up at around 6.20 am. That process instilled a sense of responsibility and discipline in us. We would witness the lovely sunrise from our school playground as our school was on a hill. The ringing of school bell, the changing of classes and teachers, the recess time fun, buying little food items from a qauint little canteen (for which we used to literally beg money from our mom), running races over the school slope, trying to touch little snails-mushrooms-flowers growing along the walls of the slope during rainy season, watching gushing rain water over the slope, walking all the way home in heavy rain as buses didn't run during rainy days, participating in various events, enjoying the movie shows held in school on certain occasions, the mass drill on school grounds, enjoying the most delicious fare served during canteen held by 9th class students and the list is endless. Phew!!!!

Tears welled up in our eyes on the day when we realised that from now on we are never going to come back to the most cosy, comfortable, quiet  and loving place on earth i.e our school . Our school gave a grand farewell to the 10th class students. We enjoyed each and every moment of the party and bade tearful byes to our beloved teachers, sisters and friends with a promise of keeping in touch however we can. 

With the end of school life, a new chapter began in my life where I was going to be exploring the new avenues around me.

But before the beginning of  this new chapter, came a great wave of suffering to me. I faced 3 different ailments on the verge of my 10th board exams. Malaria, typhoid and chickenpox took a toll on me. I lost my most precious possession, my silky long hair, which came down in one stroke of the comb, like a wig. I had not seen my own skull as a  baby.  But on that horrific day, as I saw myself in the mirror with some trepidation, I saw my skull devoid of hair, giving me an alien type of look. Not a cute alien but somebody horrendous. Also I had to learn walking all over again in which my dad helped me in taking baby steps to make me able to walk and run through my future. 

That was the first time in my life that I realised that there is some super power in this universe who controls your destiny. You just can't deny or mock it's existence. Also I came  to know from my parents and from the serial on TV called  Mahabharata, that we bear the consequences for our past actions or karma. Karma was a new word for me as I was a convent school student.  I didn't quite understand the word but funnily enough qrelated it to hindi grammar. This compelled me to think as to what is all this about?  What are past actions, who is looking over them and why am I being punished for the deeds that I don't know whether I have done or not?  Or am I  facing the results of someone else's deeds?  It was so confusing that I thought that I will try to understand this in some later stage of my life.  For now I just have to concentrate on my recent future and so I very easily forgot the bad part of my life and looked forward to my exams. But at the same time I learnt a lesson of determination, patience, courage and faith. 

With this newfound belief, I took a leap towards my new life.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parental Control

The beginning

Mindful(mess) !!